If you’re wondering, “Where did the Daniel Fast originate?” That’s a great question. The Daniel Fast was first observed by the prophet Daniel in the Bible. On one occasion, Daniel was greatly concerned for his people and sought the Lord’s wisdom during a time of prayer and fasting.
Daniel 10:2-3 says, “At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips.” The meaning of “choice food” is not clear; however, most commentaries conclude that he ate no bread or sweets. The Message translation sums up Daniel’s eating habits during that time: “I ate only plain and simple food.”
The idea behind the Daniel Fast is not to duplicate Daniel’s menu but to imitate his spiritual hunger. Daniel’s passion for the Lord caused him to seek spiritual food rather than physical food, which should be the desire for anyone doing the Daniel Fast.
What do I eat on the Daniel Fast?
Foods You May Eat
- Whole Grains: Brown Rice, Oats, Barley, Whole Grain Breads, Grits
- Legumes: Dried Beans, Pinto Beans, Split Peas, Lentils, Black Eyed Peas, Soybeans
- ALL Fruits: i.e. Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Boysenberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Cranberries, Oats, Figs, Grapefruit, Grapes, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Lemons, Limes, Mangoes, Nectarines, Papayas, Peaches, Pears, Pineapples, Plums, Prunes, Raisins, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tangelos, Tangerines, Watermelon
- ALL Vegetables: i.e. Artichokes, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chili Peppers, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Ginger Root, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard Greens, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Potatoes, Radishes, Rutabagas, Scallions, Spinach, Sprouts, Squashes, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini, Herbs, Spices, Olives (Olive Oil), veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
- Nuts & Seeds
- Liquids: Spring Water, Distilled Water, 100% Natural Fruit Juices, 100% Natural Vegetable Juices, Protein Drinks, Decaffeinated Beverages in moderation
- Sweeteners: Honey, Stevia & other Natural Sweeteners
Foods To Avoid
- All Dairy Products
- White Rice
- Fried Foods
- Carbonated Beverages
- Foods Containing Preservatives or Additives, Refined Sugar, or Sugar Substitutes
- White Flour and All Products Using It
- Margarine, Butter, Shortening, and High Fat Products
- Desserts, Candy, etc.